If you need an extern antenna on your surf-stick here is a quick guide.
At first something general:
- You can use Wi-Fi antennas for UMTS as they work in the same frequency range.
- Don’t try to use the antenna test contact on the board – yes, its seems like you could just connect the right cable – but this isn’t the case: Its just for testing and you will mess up which soldering and would have to antennas working together – all messed up – just don’t do it.
- Remove the small ceramic capacitor on the printed antenna and bridge the contacts (GND than connected directly to the printed antenna field) as we want to use this field as a good soldering contact for the GND terminal of the antenna cable.
- Cut the antenna conductor just before it hits the printed antenna field.
- Carefully clean on spot on the former antenna field for soldering the GND terminal from the cable.
- Even more carefully clean on spot on the antenna conductor.
- Soldering…. ready.
From now on the surf-stick will not work without an antenna – but even better with one.